Marky Wants To Fly

The Life Of Mark, From Pre-PPL To Beyond

Monday, June 04, 2007

The Best Day Ever!!!

Looking out of the window, the weather was looking perfect, warm, sunny, cloudless and blue… Since being at KSEE last September, I had missed the sights of this! Arriving at Barton at 11.00 AM, the flight planning was finished with a quick calculation of the winds and the required HDG’s. Luckily for us, we didn’t need fuel or ‘roads where we were going’, as Barton was getting very busy. It looked like every man and his dog wanted to get up today. Departing at 12.00, we used RWY 20, one which up to date, I had not had the pleasure of using. Short, but well maintained, with lovely views of the Manchester Ship Canal on climb out.


Departing the CCT on downwind, me and my princess tracked around the MCR Class D zone, and up over the peaks of Derbyshire. Flying overhead Huddersfield Crossland Moor, the destination was Breighton, the home of the Real Aeroplane Company, an interesting and greatly anticipated collection. Approaching Knottingly, near Pontefract, we were treated to the real sights of the British power industry; the cooling towers of Southern Yorkshires power stations. With the steam slowly rising in the heat and little wind, they were very pretty.

Apparently, Breighton is a notoriously difficult airfield to spot from the air, but knowing that the old RAF base lay just to the North, it was a relatively easy spot. The only confusing part was the distinct lack of RWY definition and markings. Joining on the live side, due to the warning that aerobatics were taking place on the dead side, I joined downwind for RWY 11 grass. The CCT was straightforward enough, although short finals were a little hairy coming in over the hedges. I kept her a little high as I had never visited before, but watching from the ground, some of the locals were extremely close to the hedges and touched down a lot earlier than I managed to.

Only when we were on the ground did we realise that we had landed straight in the middle of the ‘Auster fly in day.’ Strangely enough, they had failed to mention this when calling for PPR and it was not advertised in any of the national press. Anyway, it turned out to be spectacular on more than one front. Just a word of note, landing at Breighton is like flying through a time warp, back to the 1940’s. For me it was amazing, the place has bags of character and was oozing with personality and charm. As soon as we stepped out of VA, we were treated with a very rare and emotional site, a full aerobatic display from a North American P-51D Mustang. This was totally unexpected, and was truly amazing. It was like a personal display, standing right on the RWY, no barriers and no rules about flying over the crowd. With no restrictions on the display, it was a moving performance from one of my personal favourites. I couldn’t have asked for more, it quite simply made the day…


The flight line and hanger displays added to the immense spectacle. Full of Chipmunks, Bucker Jungmeaister’s, Extra 300’s, Piper Super Cub’s and more, there was more then enough to keep the eyes entertained. Further displays from a range of aircraft, we made even more enjoyable by bacon, sausage and egg butties, yum. I must have spent about three hours just staring at the spectacle which was the Mustang, viewing its curves and offerings from within touching distance, but not daring to touch. Unfortunately, we had to leave just after half four, due to the fact that they would not accept card for fuel. Luckily, Sherburn-In-Elmet was only 11 miles away. A short hop later and we were on short finals for Sherburn. This is not one of my favourite GA airfields, due to the ‘factory like’ appearance and feel which it presents. Taking on a full loading of fuel, we departed for Crossland Moor just above Huddersfield. This is one of my favourites. It’s different in every sense. Not only is it located 630ft AMSL, but it is surrounded by quarries, which provide a mixture of varying sink levels… The ‘terminal’, which is actually a static caravan, is great. There’s nothing better than sitting on the terrace outside with a brew watching the planes land on the uphill slope!


After a chat with the locals, and also with the pilot of a Barton based C150, one which I had considered a share in last year, we ‘toured’ the farm strip and found a ‘secret’ hanger. The aircraft here were unreal for a strip of this location and size. Tucked away were a Pitts, a C182 and a wonderful Piper Arrow III. The evening flight back to Barton was pleasant, and I managed to fit in three full stalls and a PFL, these were things which I had been planning on carrying out for the past month and I am glad that I finally had the chance to do so. Unfortunately, the PFL only got down to 700ft AGL due to the presence of an RAF Sea King, which was operating in the local area. As I had visual with it, I thought best to call off the PFL and head back to base.


Arriving OH for RWY 20, the CCT was relatively empty and the approach was well judged, with a nice smooth landing. All in all, it was a remarkable day. It had been a lot more than your average days flying, not that any flying trip is average, but this one had created a life long memory. An excellent, could not have been better time at Breighton, some very nice flying, three land away’s, 2.5 hours PIC, and I even got to practice some emergencies. It just goes to show that the best days come when they are least expected. Jacqueline, my passenger for the day said that 'she had just had the best day in her life', something which the smile on her little face seemed to mirror!

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is incredible. I apparently need to get an airplane / pilots license.

Monday, June 04, 2007 8:11:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

You sure do my friend :-)

Monday, June 04, 2007 9:33:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya darling

i did have the best day of my life that day looking at that cottage in the morning and then goin flying to breighton and watching the aerobatics and then doing stalls on the way back it was so fun and then i got to snuggle upto you and watch a film it was an amazing day you were inlove with that mustang lol it was hard to drag you away

i love you lots and lots forever sugar pie huni bun x x x mwah x x x

Saturday, June 09, 2007 1:26:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

The day was brilliant wasn't it!! Trully amazing!! The Mustang was the best thing ever :-p Well the best after being with my little princess and looking at that college and of course snuggling with you in bed. Guess that makes you the best thing :-)

The next flight will be... Wait for it... Have you guessed yet lol?... Perranporth :-) I can't wait, should be magical, as should the three weeks your here for.

Gona miss you next week when im away, I dont get to see you for nearly two weeks, but it will make the first snuggle we have after that so magical and special wont it my little star.

I love you my sugar pie huni xxxxx

Saturday, June 09, 2007 9:23:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe yaaaay im the best lol no im not marky is

i guessed it lol i really cant wait until perranporth it will be amazing

im gonma miss you so so much while you are away but you are always in my heart and in my mind i love you darling our first snuggle will be magical i cant wait im missin you so much already

i love you sugar pie marky bun i really want those things to happen what we were talking about before on the phone so you better get house hunting and buying a ring hehe lol i hope it isnt a millon years away i love you huni i want to be your princess forever it would make me so happy and id be so proud

x x x x x x mwah x x x x x x

Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:15:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

I am going to miss you too my little perfect princess, but as you say, we will soon be reunited and that first snuggle back together will be magical and amazing :-) I am counting down the days and looking forwards to it.

I am sure that Perranporth will be fab, you never know, might be the last flight in this plane, then we get our new plane!

As for our other plans lol, they will happen very soon, I am sure of that. I feel so close to you after this weekend, I feel thats its just what we needed, theres nothing or nobody that makes me so happy.

I love you my little sugar pie princess x x x x x

Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:44:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

P.s. Jackie is the bestest best lol :-)

Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:46:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya darling

how soon ? hehe

im counting down the days till i see you too huni that will be the perfect last flight for that plane and an amazing weekend

we did need this weekend it has given us the chance to make up properly and now we are better than ever and very very close you are my best friend and my perfect partner i love you with all my heart darling your my world i wish i was with you now so we could snuggle im really missing you

xxxxxxxxxxx love you xxxxxxxxxx

Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:53:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yaaay im the bestest lol and dont you forget it :P

love you x x x x x

Sunday, June 10, 2007 9:57:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

I wont forget it lol, to be honest I doubt that I ever will be able to forget it lol as you will without a doubt keep reminding me lol :-P

Ive realised that your my best friend, my sexy little lover and more. You all ive ever wanted and more. You make me happy and complete and forefilled and alive :-)

Right its bed time soon, but I will meet you in dreamland soon. I love you my princess xxxxx

Sunday, June 10, 2007 10:17:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will remind you lol hehe

i feel exactly the same way about you darling your like the man of my
dreams but better !!

i love you with all my heart forever and always

im goin to ring you in a min and then meet you in dreamland coz im tired and im up early

x x x x mwah x x x x

Sunday, June 10, 2007 10:24:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sugar pie marky bun
You know that I love you
I can't help myself
I love you and nobody else

In and out my life
You come and you go
Leaving just your picture behind
And I've kissed it a thousand times

i thought id send you some of our song darling i love you ive been missin you like mad today i wish you were here so i could have a marky hug but i suppose i gota wait till you get back from amsterdam :(

i love you with all my heart forever x x x x x

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:17:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

by the way i have kissed your picture a thousand million times today darling

love you x x x x x

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:23:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

I know what you mean darling, im missing you like crazy, I cant wait for a super Jackie snuggle. I love you so much, that part of our song just made me smile so much :-) Ive not stopped looking at your picture all day :-( Least your in my heart and my mind, which makes me so happy.

I love you x x x x x

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiya huni

your always in my heart and mind theres not a single second where your not

i love you more and more each day and i know i want to be with you forever i will always be your princess

ill be here with a jakki snuggle waiting for you to come back

love you forver x x x x x

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 8:29:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you so much darling im having a great time staying here with you i know it'd be like this if not better (coz we'd be alone) if we moved in together i cant wait till that day !!

I cant wait to go to perranporth with you it'll be amazing!! i hope the weather is ok 4 this weekend

well ill go now and let you have the comp back

cant wait to snuggle later darling

wana brew??

love you lots and lots forever x x x x x x x x x

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 8:53:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home