Marky Wants To Fly

The Life Of Mark, From Pre-PPL To Beyond

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The dawn of a new era... The ATPL's!!!

Today, Wednesday 21st February was the start of a new era, the continuation of Pilot Marky's flying onto a new level... The road to the ATPL had been opened...

Passing the Airline Transport Pilots Licence exams (ATPL), are a requirment to be issued with the Joint Aviation Authorities Commercial Pilot Licence with Multi Engined Instrument Rating (JAA CPL ME/IR). The ultimate of ultimates. Consisting of fourteen written exams and a mountain of revising and learning, the exams will without a doubt be the largest hurdle so far. I decided to enroll on the distance learning course offered by the Pilot Training College of Ireland in Waterford. Known for its professional status and facilities, the college will hopefully be a great block on to which I can build my flying career. Based at home, I will study as many hours a day as I can and hopefully within six months to a year, I will have completed the exams. Both stages one and two, which each contain seven modules need to be completed. The exams will be sat in Dublin at the IAA, Irish Aviation Authority. Only after these are passed successfully, will my flying for the CPL ME/IR progress.

There is no doubt that they will be hard, both in a sense of commitment and talent, but I am personally ready for the challenge. I know that my heart is in the right place, and my desire and commitment is unquestioned. The studying will bring back memories of my PPL course at KSEE, where for me, ground school occured from early in the morning until late into the night...

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Mark, extremely happy for you :o) one question though, why was i not mentioned in this blog?! surely i should be as big an event as your flying?! :oP H xx

Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:28:00 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well chuffed for you mate. I know you`ve agonised over a lot of schools for a while and I hoped I helped with your decision.

This is what you wanted when I met you at AAA....and now you are gonna realise it.

I admit i`m slightly envious, but being a aging 30 year old, the thought of sitting 14 more exams scares me rigid.....

Happy flying days...........

Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:22:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

Oh in response to the first comment, I wonder who could have said something as pretentious as that?!? Could it be Helen by any chance?!? He he I cant wait to take you flying with me... x x

Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:35:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

Thanks Matt!!! Means a very lot to me. I know, every day since AAA I have thought about these exams now its time to bite the bullet and finally get stuck in. I am sure that a bit of ATPL knowledge will help on our 'Euro Trip' lol?!?

Like I keep saying, your never too old to start, so if your goning to realise it then so soon please and dive in... You never know where the thrill of the flying will take you...

Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:38:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wasn't being pretentious I was feeling left out, there is a difference :oP oh and by the way, you still haven't mentioned me :o) lol H xx

Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:26:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

Come flying and I will mention you on it... x x

Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:40:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok i will.. :o) (and you know im scared of heights) h xx

Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:35:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really Happy for you. x

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:54:00 am  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

Thank you everybody for the morale support it is much appreciated it and desired. I will keep everybody informed as my flying career hopefully progresses forwards onto greater things. One thing is for sure, nothings beats the thrill of flying. The only thing better than flying itself is being able to take a loved one with you to enjoy the joys of the air...

Monday, February 26, 2007 9:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well you got the support of so many ppl behind you, and i am sure u are going tomake everyone so proud.
really enjoy reading about ur flying even though i am not there to share it anymore.
mark u deserve great things, and i am sure u will achieve them.
i wish u all da luck and the best and i know u can do it i have ever faith in you.
S.P xx

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 12:53:00 am  
Blogger CMP said...

Hey Mark,

That's great news. Before you know it, you'll be teaching Matt and I a thing or two.

We're thinking of getting our floatplane ratings next summer and renting a plane to go fishing in Norway. If you're not busy with teh ATPL, or fancy a break, you should come up and join us. Could do with an extra whizzwheel when flight planning :-)

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 2:07:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

Hiya Clay, That sounds like a very good plan, would love to own a sea plane rating, I might have to try and get some money together, but with ATPL's and hour building that may be harder than it sounds... Would be a fantastic experience though!!! :-)

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:22:00 pm  
Blogger lifeofmarky said...

The boys of KSEE reunited!!! Woo Hoo!!!

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:34:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home