Marky Wants To Fly

The Life Of Mark, From Pre-PPL To Beyond

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Episode Two... Marky Strikes Back...

Today was the day of days, the time of times. The first flight after five weeks of bad weather, bad luck and having to keep my feet on the ground. The best part about it was that it was completely unexpected. Only at 11AM did I decide to go up. A break in the weather and the availability of VA meant that a flight was possible. VA, just emerging from its 50HR chx was looking sparkly clean, even the interior smelt like polish! Ill admit it now, I was nervous due to the time which had passed since the last time I was airborne, but the moment I climbed into VA and switched over the magnetos I once again felt at home. Gaining, 60L of AVGAS, I taxied along the very damp Bravo taxiway to RWY 09L. Although I was alone, it was what I wanted today in order to feel at ease with the aircraft and not have to worry about any passengers.

Calculating that it would be just after 2 o’clock when I took off, I had decided to route over to Formby, on the North West coast, then up to Blackpool and Fleetwood, before turning over Lancaster and heading back down to Barton. A flight roughly just under two hours in time. In reality, it took two hours and five minutes, as Blackpool App. insisted that I hold over Marsh Side VRP until their traffic, a 737 had landed. This was actually a pleasant experience, as I got to see the approach and landing, whilst being able to practice my 45-degree steep turns! With improving visibility the further North I got, I was able to see a large number of ships departing both Fleetwood and Heysham. The wake which they leave on a lifeless sea is amazing when viewed from the air!

The chosen turning point of Lancaster was emotional, as it was the first time that my Mum, Dad and godparents had seen me flying from the perspective of the ground. They had walked from their yacht at Glasson into Lancaster and were stood on the ramparts of the Castle to see me pass by. After a few passes, I headed back south to Barton. The highlight of the return trip was seeing Winter Hill in its full glory, the top half of which was covered in snow. Approaching Barton, I was given the option of a standard overhead join or a left base join. For reasons of practicality and because I like to make things difficult for myself, I opted for the former. Lower than expected cloud meant that I had to make the overhead at 1700 instead of 1800ft, but as CCT’s at Barton are flown at 1000ft, there was still plenty of vertical separation. On short finals I found myself too high, and with only one person on boards, VA did not want to descend too rapidly! Instead of over reacting, I decided to put on full flaps earlier then normal, and gently brought her home for a smooth touchdown. After having a laugh with the duty firemen and the operations staff, I departed Barton, full of glee and excitement after today, and with all of my fingers crossed that the weather would keep for tomorrow, when I had originally planned to fly…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home